Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The best cinema had to offer in 2015

Since I love making lists, especially ones that relate to the 7th art, I decided to pick a random number of the best movies I saw in 2015. This proved to be trickier then expected as there wasn't a specific film that really stood out for me. Before I start enumerating please allow me a little rant as for the love of God I simply cannot grasp why and how Mad Max:Fury Road has received such rave reviews. It was shallow, tacky, commercial-cool and attempting to hide a macho world view under pseudo feminism! Yes a size zero supermodel with a 9 month baby bump is jumping off speeding trucks and saving the day and Charlize Theron proves her hotness despite the shaved head and amputated arm! Great! This does not a good movie make and I'm shocked that anyone outside the US deemed this one of the best movies 2015 had to offer. I beg to differ…

In preparing this list I thought I might as well glance at similar lists that movie critics have compiled  and flooded my Facebook feed with. Hence the rant will continue briefly. Don't get me wrong I haven't watched The Assasin and cannot claim to have an opinion, but to be honest I have absolutely no desire to actually watch it. How many martial art movies with picture perfect images of China does this world need to endure? Spare me!

Also Son of Saul was indeed  really innovative in the way it was filmed and made you really feel as if you are looking over the shoulder of a man in a concentration camp. However all you saw was violence, despair, panic, confusion and an absolute absence of hope and light. Why would you want to endure that? I would advise against subjecting yourself to this repetitive and unpleasant experience ,despite all the hype!


2015: THE BEST CINEMA HAD TO OFFER
13 of my favorite films this year in no particular order 


Youth 

aesthetically perfect and deeply human

The Lobster

by far the most interesting script this year! Or how the power of imagination can make wonders! Despite the complete lack of not only any form of special effect, but even artificial lighting, Lanthimos managed to completely emerge us into his bleak yet funny dystopian love story. Greek weird wave is spreading its wings.

The Salt of the Earth

a beautiful film about a beautiful man.

Inherent Vice

one of the rare occasions where I daresay I prefer the film to the book. Paul Thomas Anderson masterfully adapted Thomas Pynchon's delirious stoner detective story to the silver screen. Lets face it 60s LA looks pretty awesome and Phoenix is, as always, sublime!

A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence

Black humor in this pastel cynical world! Hilariously funny! Andersson has done it again! (by far the best movie title of 2015!)

Birdman

An anti-hero story with the most surprising soundtrack! (possibly my favorite film this year if I really had to choose!)

Maps to the Stars

Seriously underrated! Though must admit I have a weakness for Cronenberg. (Bear in mind that the exaggerated scenario only serves to underline how exaggerated life in Hollywood is.)


Wild Tales

Argentinian kitsch black humor! The last short is beyond amazing!

Carol

Todd Haynes dreamy cinematography and love of the 50s combined with Blanchetts overwhelming elegance and talent! A really powerful yet subtle love story.

Force Majeure

A force to be reckoned with or how a family holiday can go terribly wrong.

Whiplash 

Superb acting in a classic tale of mentor and apprentice. For all those one tear kind of people out there...

Star Wars: The force awakens

My dad made me watch them literally every single weekend I spent at his house as a child so for sentimental reasons only, I loved it! A real treat and sci-fi melodrama at its best! May the force be with you!

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Nigh 

An  Iranian vampire Western with an indie rock soundtrack, need I say more?


No comments:

Post a Comment