Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Life under Lockdown in Belgistan

I never use my blog to write about politics or current affairs so I promise that, regardless of the title and the fact that the charming city I call home is now entering its 5th day under lockdown, this post is mainly about love and art and all things beautiful and worth celebrating.

On Saturday morning (21/11/2015) when I woke up to read that Brussels has been placed under the highest level of alert due to information pertaining to a terrorist attack similar to the tragedy that hit Paris last week, my reaction was disbelief. A fellow Brusselonian, who knows a Belgian detective, and my dad, who claims to have friends in high places, had been warning me for days and advising me to avoid crowded places. Scaremongering I thought! So after shock came relief, as I had planned to go to London and would thus avoid this surreal weekend that seemed to come out of a Hollywood B-movie.   And what a weekend it was! I was reunited with my family that recently moved back to London after 10 years in LA over dinner at a cosy Italian restaurant called La Famiglia. Toconoco with its delicious and reasonably priced Ramen soup and Bread and Butter, for the first flat white of the day, were our local gems. There was also the fascinating and politically engaged and enraged exhibition of Ai Weiwei at the Royal Academy of Arts


























as well as some serious brunching at the elegantly hip Ace Hotel, shopping at A.P.C. and fuelling our vanity at Barber & Parlour in Electric Cinema.



























My only experience from Lockdown had thus far been the empty streets on Saturday morning, how infuriatingly difficult it was to find a cab (nothing new there snce the taxi mafia of Brussels shut down Uber!) and that Eurostar allowed me to change my ticket to Brussels free of charge so I could enjoy an extra day in The City. 

 However the media was going mental with images of police and uber sleek army officials roaming the empty streets of Brussels, twitter was flooded with initially witty and humorous photos of cats under the hashtag #BrusselsLockdown and my phone kept beeping with Facebook notifications that all events in Brussels have been cancelled. 


























The worst was Sunday when the police advised all Brusselonians to remain indoors and stay away from windows (!) as several "operations" were taking place across the city.  Following the sensationalistic media coverage, my phone kept ringing as family and friends kept calling or messaging to check whether I'm safe and sound
5 days after "Lockdown" was declared, the metro and several schools have partially reopened, people have started showing up for work and life has started assuming some sense of normality. However all forms of cultural and artistic activities are prohibited. Cinemas remain closed, dance performances are cancelled, all concerts have been indefinitely postponed and I wouldn't count on next weekend's parties to be entertained. This curfew will last at least 9 days. Under the guise of this threat of terror some of the most essential elements of our lifestyle, have been put on hold. The result of this zombification: 21 arrests, but 15 of these suspects have already been released and Europe's most wanted remains at large whilst rumour has it he made it across the border to Germany. Don't get me wrong I love Brussels, its chaos and grime is infinitely charming and does breed creation. Its illogical and ineffective public services and policies entail a strong element of surrealism that somehow adds up to a fully functional society. However giving up so much of my freedom in the name of safety makes me uneasy and I can't help but wonder how will our beautiful surreal little city get back to what it calls normal; when no major steps have been taken to address the root causes of this radicalisation of BELGIAN citizens? When no prime suspects have been caught, when the ineffective police and judiciary system has not been reformed, and when Brussels still abides to the rule, as long as something sort of works why change it? Are we experiencing the end of an era? Has fear permanently entered our daily life?

























Photo from Art Brussels 


The answer is no, as long as you remember that all is Love. A friend made the perfect playlist to combat the BrusselsLockdown blues, All of Me Wants All of You, lovesongs to be played at full volume on repeat. 


And my first real night under lockdown was spent with 5 beautiful loved ones who came over for dinner, wine, a little dance to the rhythm of Syria's most prolific wedding singer that I had the pleasure of seeing last time in Molenbeek with my mum!!!
 




And a fantastic movie, Sorrentino's Le conseguenze dell'amore...



























PS: a photo of your favourite asylum seekers from Belgistan after their safe arrival in London! 

No comments:

Post a Comment