Wednesday, November 26, 2014

To build a home....


Jeu de Balle, a true gem of Brussels, makes me feel like I am living in a magical, (Tim Burton meets Michel Gondry) dream-like, cabinet of curiosities for the last 7 years. It has enabled me to build my nest away from home and is now threatened to be turned into an underground parking lot. 

Les Marolles is undoubtedly one of the most charming neighbourhoods of Brussels, and at the very heart of it you find Jeu de Balle, where an antique flea market takes place EVERY MORNING!  Around the square you can find one of the best tattoo parlours in Europe, La Boucherie Moderne, my local, the Chaff, which is ideal for apres flea market lunch, apero Toto every Monday and unexpectedly great gigs and dj sets, Pin Pon, a wine bar-restaurant that is housed in an old fire station (the bread is amazing and do try the fillet tartar) as well as several typical Belgian bars such as Le Marseillais

It's scary to think that modern urban planning has made such a disastrous change fathomable in order to accommodate the ever-increasing number of cars in a city where pretty much everything is walking distance.  Whilst trying to figure out how I can do my part to prevent this madness I also started thinking about one of my recurrent themes, how to build a home...


 "There are times when I enjoy the weightlessness of traveling and wish to own nothing and afternoons when I want to claim every farmhouse I drive by as my own, especially those with porches and dormers, those spaces so elegantly negotiating inside and out, as though building itself could direct and support an ideal life, the life we dream of when we look at houses...

Admiring houses from the outside is often about imagining entering them, living in them, having a calmer, more harmonious, deeper life. Buildings become theaters and fortresses for private life and inward thought, and buying and decorating is so much easier than living or thinking according to those ideals. Thus the dream of a house can be the eternally postponed preliminary step to taking up the lives we wish we were living. Houses are cluttered with wishes, the invisible furniture on which we keep bruising our shins."



The Cinematic Orchestra - To build a home




































 


















No comments:

Post a Comment