Saturday, January 23, 2016

STARDUST

Ok so 2016 is off to a rather rough start.

Monday morning, the first time I greeted the sun in Brussels this year, I was in for a rather rude awaking. A text message from my best friend at 8 in the morning saying

Omg David Bowie est mort :( 

I never considered myself a die hard Bowie fan. The glam, the glitter, the chamelionic reinvention and the killer sense of humour definitely appealed to me and I have bought and thouroughly enjoyed and swayed to several of his records. However, I somehow always regarded him as slightly too pop to be my personal heroe (having a weakness for the slightly darker side of the stars such as Mr Cave). I was however, like most, in a state of shock and throughout the Bowie mania that ensued I found myself becoming increasingly obsessed.

For over a week Bowie is pretty much all I  have been listening to and I was surprised to realise just how many of his songs have been a vital and integral part of the soundtrack to my life so far. 

When all is said and done I guess what I mean to say is THANK YOU. I am lucky to have existed at the same time as you <3

Enjoy some of my favourite stardust this amazingly beatiful man gave us.

"Et maintenant, pour Christophe quid habite le 5e, de la part de Juliette qui habite le 1er, l'Amour Modern par David Bowie"




Cause like Denis Lavant in Mauvais Sange or Frances Ha I have danced to this in the street and have associated it with oh so many of the boys that make my heart skip a beat.
 



My personal favorite!






Is it any wonder you are too cool to fool?




In May 1979, David Bowie did a two hour radio show called Star Special in which he played some of his favourite records and it's TOTALLY BRILLIANT!




Tracklist
 
The Doors, “Love Street”
Iggy Pop, “TV Eye”
John Lennon, “Remember”
? & The Mysterians, “96 Tears”
Edward Elgar, “The Nursery Suite” (extract)
Danny Kaye, “Inchworm”
Philip Glass, “Trial Prison”
The Velvet Underground, “Sweet Jane”
Mars, “Helen Fordsdale”
Little Richard, “He’s My Star”
King Crimson, “21st Century Schizoid Man”
Talking Heads, “Warning Sign”
Jeff Beck, “Beck’s Bolero”
Ronnie Spector, “Try Some, Buy Some”
Marc Bolan, “20th Century Boy”
The Mekons, “Where Were You?”
Steve Forbert, “Big City Cat”
The Rolling Stones, “We Love You”
Roxy Music, “2HB”
Bruce Springsteen, “It’s Hard To Be A Saint In The City”
Stevie Wonder, “Fingertips”
Blondie, “Rip Her To Shreds”
Bob Seger, “Beautiful Loser”
David Bowie, “Boys Keep Swinging”
David Bowie, “Yassassin”
Talking Heads, “Book I Read”
Roxy Music, “For Your Pleasure”
King Curtis, “Something On Your Mind”
The Staple Singers, “Lies”



And this one is for the biggest Bowie fan I know! Cause it's his favorite,

"The ballad of a man calling out to the heaven from deepest and most depraved gutter"






And a song allegedly written to piss Mick Jagger off….

Hey babe, your hair's alright
Hey babe, let's go out tonight
You like me, and I like it all
We like dancing and we look divine
You love bands when they're playing hard
You want more and you want it fast….



And I leave you "what did Bowie do at your age?" in case you ever doubted how truly amazing he is and the man himself, in 1999 talking about reinvention, how to pronounce his name, why rock'n'roll is no longer a conveyer of rebellion and how the Internet is an alien life form...

No comments:

Post a Comment