Saturday, August 16, 2014

But I asked you for a dance...

I hope this post finds you all sundrunk by the sea, with freckles on your nose, blonde streaks in your hair and a fabulous book in your hands. This summer has been relatively short, due to unforseen forces of change, but sweet nevertheless. I engaged in my annual hermit, detox, island retreat for about two weeks and thought I would share some photos and the books and songs that occuppied my time during my summer paradise-lost.

"The Myth of Sisyphus" has been somwhat of a recurrent theme in my life, whether it was the spectacular dance performance "Still Life" by the incredibly talented Mr Papaioannou, or my mum and lover reading it during the exact same time and talking to me about it. I thus thought that it was high-time to dwelve into a little absurdism. Though this essay rang true in many ways, I must admit I was surprised at how such a talented man like Camus managed to make 120 pages rather tiring and repetitive. Just know that at the end one must imagine Sisyphys happy....

"I leave Sisyphus at the foot of the mountain! One always finds one's burden again. But Sisyphus teaches the higher fidelity that negated the gods and raises rocks. He, too, concludes that all is well. This universe henceforth without a master seems to him neither sterile nor futile. Each atom of that stone, each mineral flake of that night-filled mountain, in itself forms a world. The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy."

Albert Camus, "The Myth of Sisyphus" 
























Survival kit for lazy sunbathers

The other book, "Generation X", that kept me company has again been ever-present during my teenage years as the term kept appearing in some of the key movies marking my coming of age such as Clerks, Reality Bites, Heathers, Fight Club, Dazed and Confused, Singles and many many more... and indeed it was a real delight and very topical for a girl in her late 20s coming from Greeceland. 

























Self-diagnosis


"But my crisis wasn't just the failure of youth but also a failure of class and of sex and the future and I still don't know what. I began to see this world as one where citizens stare, say, at the armless Venus de Milo and fantasize about amputee sex or self-righteously apply a fig leaf to the statue of David, but not before breaking off his dick as a souvenir. All events became omens; I lost the ability to take anything literally."  

Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture, by Douglas Coupland 



Washed out island beauty queens

Dancing in the moonlight on this long hot summer night

 

























View from my paradise-lost


Absolute cuteness! World meet Victor! Cause the family just gained a heartbreaker!

























The beauty of visiting my grandparents: Family tresures and long forgotten fashion gems












































Dressing up
























A fantabulous night for a moondance

 






















Summertime is all about figs and hammocks

Cause Paul Simon's Graceland is and fo ralways will be the quintessential summer soundtrack
























Absolute Greeceland




Cause we had a moment listening to this song, driving to the North side of the island to howl at the August super-moon



No comments:

Post a Comment