Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Rules: to be made and to be broken. Enjoy yourself. It's lighter than you think.

Having lacked any form of self-discipline and structure I always liked to think that I enjoy coloring my life with the chaos of trouble, that chaos breeds creation and that as most rules are proved elliptical and end up being outdated, true progress can only be achieved by breaking them. Below are some rules that tickle my fancy and that I wouldn't mind following, at times. Enjoy.


REBECCA MORRIS: MANIFESTO For Abstractionists and friends of the non-objective

BE A FORCE
Don’t shoot blanks
Black and Brown: that shit is the future
Triangles are your friend
Don’t pretend you don’t work hard
When in doubt, spray paint it gold
Perverse formalism is your god
You are greased lightening
Bring your camera everywhere
Never stop looking at macrame`, ceramics, supergraphics and suprematism
Make work that is so secret, so fantastic, so dramatically old school/new school that it looks like it was found in a shed, locked up since the 1940’s
Wake up early, fear death
Whip out the masterpieces
Be out for blood
You are the master of your own universe
Abstraction never left, motherfuckers
If you can’t stop, don’t stop
Strive for deeper structure
Fight monomania
Campaign against the literal
ABSTRACTION FOREVER!





Guidelines for lady-like behavior by Ms Margaret Atwood in "The Blind Assassin"

"She said I'd need to dress the part, no matter what my deficiencies, which should never be admitted by me."Say you have a headache", she told me. "It's always an acceptable excuse." She told me many other things as well. "It's all right to show boredom" She said. "Just never show fear. They'll smell it on you, like sharks, and come in for the kill. You can look at the edge of the table - it lowers your eyelids - but never look at the floor, it makes your neck look weak. Don't stand up straight, you're not a soldier. Never cringe. If someone makes a remark that's insulting to you, say Excuse me? as if you haven't heard; nine times out of ten they won't have the face to repeat it. Never raise your voice to a waiter, it's vulgar. Make them bend down, it's what they're for. Don't fidget with your gloves or your hair. Always look as if you have something better to do, but never show impatience. When in doubt, go to the powder room, but go slowly. Grace comes from indifference." Such were her sermons. I have to admit, despite my loathing of her, that they have proved to be of considerable value in my life. 


A piece of friendly advice by Jenny Holzer


















And a song to clear the air...

No comments:

Post a Comment